Hayselton Drive maintains the tradition of preservation, good neighborliness


Bob’s Market, on the corner of West Main and Boonville, is remembered by westerners.

The residents of “Corner” remember how Bob and Mary Ann Probst kept plenty of food during hard times with their handwritten charge books, kept the elderly and infirm cared for with home deliveries, but, most importantly, Keep them informed of the latest news from the neighborhood – who was sick, who was getting married, who was building or renovating a house and, God forbid, who had passed away.

Hazelton Drive formed a segment of some 80 acres of William Searcy’s Sunset Place Addition when it was subdivided into 25-foot lots in 1926. In these crop fields, Hazelton took the form of a women’s heeled shoe. with Allen Avenue forming the instep and heel, bordering Hays Park, the toe forming the lower segment eventually leading to East Circle, and the north ankle overlooking Cliff Park and the Missouri River. Cliff Park in Block 1800 was then separated by a railing.

The Searcy’s Sunset lots quickly sold the first two in 1930 to real estate agent and entrepreneur George Lindhardt and optometrist James Brawley. Lindhardt would build many houses in the neighborhood with Louis Schell, a neighbor in 1933.

Jefferson City’s population had grown 48% in 10 years to reach 21,500. There were 200 retail establishments and four banks. The city had 20 factories: six in 1900 just for shoes!

There was an airport and even an aviation school, seven elementary schools, three parish schools, a middle and high school, a college, Lincoln University and 16 churches. The cart was available at Vista Place for residents of Hayselton. A ride downtown costs 5 cents.

In 1933, Joseph A. Randazzo owned one of the first houses in Hazelton’s 1800 block atop the river cliffs. The houses were built far enough from the cliff face to keep soot from the coal-fired engines of the trains from entering their homes.

Most builders bought two or three lots of 25 feet each, but Randazzo’s two-story house spanned 100 feet in the front and 320 feet in the back. The impressive English Tudor house, with its sharp gables, is red brick on tiled with a Spanish tiled roof. The interior of the house features numerous cornice moldings, a curved staircase, and a rose-tiled upstairs bathroom with lavender light fixtures.

By 1943, Hayselton’s owner list had grown to 34 and the street name had changed spelling, thanks to James M. Hays, owner of Hays Wood Products Company, who also donated land for Hays Park. However, the park was not developed by the city, as stipulated by Hays, so his heirs filed a lawsuit for the return of the land, which was then developed for additional housing on Allen, Cole, and Alleyways. Circle.

Second-generation Englishman Herbert J. Patterson, entrepreneur and stonemason, built a five-room, two-bedroom bungalow on top of the hill – at the foot – overlooking the Missouri River in 1937 for the price of 4,935.69 $, including furniture.

The recessed skylight, large gabled hall, rounded door and sloping roofline are indicative of a house plan built by Sears, the “Willard”. Herbert has expanded his tiny home over the years, building a garage, an art studio for his hobbies, a screened porch and a chapel for his wife, Gladys.

According to Jerry Patterson, Herbert’s son, who grew up in the Hayselton-Circle Drive neighborhoods in the 1940s and 1950s, was full of adventure. In the winter, the neighborhood boys scaled the hill behind Patterson to the Schott property (formerly Lee Jordan’s Rose Hill Place on Ware Avenue) where they skated on the frozen pond.

In the summer, they cycled to the Tasti-Treat Drive-In on the corner of West Main and Boonville, where Jerry’s sister worked up front, picking up ice cream. Her brother worked in the back dining room. Carol Roark remembers the best fries ever produced at Jonesey’s, nicknamed for owner Russell Jones.

The Neville Robertson House was built in 1931 by Lindhardt on the first outward curve facing the river view. The English-style house occupied several different owners, including Dr Everett and Geraldine Sugarbaker between 1947 and 1957, before they moved to a Dutch settlement called “Orchard Acres” on West Main Street.

Most of the houses built in the Sunset Place Addition in the 1930s and 1940s are likely based on drawings published in a 1929 book by the Architects’ Small House Service Bureau.

Like Patterson House, many are small cottages, Cape Cods, and bungalows, all designed for “moderate income.” But the designs also depict larger three- and four-bedroom homes, like “Chula Vista,” the early 1940s home designed to take in the views of the river as it curves around the bend. Built for Dr Robert and Constance Cummins, the house features the familiar English solid brick design of a rounded door and window in a sloping vestibule, multiple shuttered double windows, and a slate roof.

The residents of Hayselton have a tradition of pride in their historic district that continues today, preserving not only their charming homes but their stories.

Carolyn Bening was a freelance writer with a passion for history, who understood the history of her neighborhood of Hayselton Drive. She was associate editor for many years of historic Jefferson’s newsletter, Yesterday and Today. This story has been reprinted with permission from his estate.

Previous Blume Global now manages logistics operating platform natively on Google Cloud
Next (LDI) DEADLINE ALERT: Investors Interested in Being a Principal Plaintiff in Securities Fraud Class Action Against LoanDepot, Inc.